Mylius – Eaton – Palmer House – 2900 Jackson St.
Built in 1894, designed by William D. McLaughlin and built for Charles Mylius. This is an example of the Queen Anne and Tudor Revival architectural styles. My Mylius was the Secretary and Treasurer of the Sioux City Sash and Door Company. The carriage house was built shortly thereafter. Curiously, Mylius never resided in the house. Franz and Matilida Shenkberg were the first residents in 1899. However, the Skenkbergs divorced and Franz’s father bought the house in 1905 and soon sold it to William Gordon who then sold it to Fred and Lillian Easton in 1906. Fred Eaton came to Sioux City shortly after the Silver Crash of 1893. He was the Eastern creditor’s chief representative of the Credits Communication Corporation, a company set up by eastern capitalists who had lost heavily when the effects of the crash and depression hit Sioux City. Eaton convinced eastern investors that Sioux City’s economy was healthy and spearheaded the completion of a number of projects, such as the stalemated Combination Bridge. He helped create the Live Stock National Bank and organized the Sioux City Stock Yards Company to manage Sioux City’s ailing main industry. Upon his death in 1925, his daughter Dorothy lived in the house. She became wife of Edward C. Palmer and lived in the home until 1967. The Palmer family was involved in various Sioux City businesses, one of which is the Palmer Candy company. To many Sioux City residents the house is known as the Palmer House or chocolate house.
John Peirce House – 2901 Jackson St.
Built in 1892 and constructed of South Dakota quartzite, this home was designed in the Richardsonian Romanesque style by local architect Charles Brown. It was constructed by John Perice, a prominent realtor and Sioux City Promoter. Peirce, a Civil War veteran, came to Sioux City in 1869 and soon joined the other Sioux City entrepreneurs promoting and developing Sioux City’s northside neighborhoods. One of the most significant projects was the construction of a cable line that ran the full length of Jackson St. from downtown to the Country Club at 39th St. In the 1893 crash, Peirce lost his entire fortune, but attempted to recover his losses by raffling off his house. In 1901 the family moved to Seattle, where he began building another fortune. He died n 1910. The home is on the National Register of Historic Places and is currently used as the Sioux City Public Museum. The future plans for home include turning it back into a period home once the new Sioux City Museum is opened in downtown.
T. J. Steele House – 2911 Jackson St.
Built in 1912, this home is a pleasant mix of Prairie and Colonial Revival architectural styles. The Prairie style is found in the exposed rafter tails and the knee braces (visible on the first floor, south side of the home) while the Colonial Revival style can be found in the Doric columns supporting the front porch. T. J. Steele, a local stockbroker, was the first resident of this stately home.
Christopher Moller House – 2933 Jackson St.
Built in 1891, this Queen Anne style home was constructed for Christopher Moller, manager of the Sioux City Cable Railroad and his wife, Mary Helen (Peirce), daughter of John Peirce. In 1896, the Mollers were no longer listed in the City directories. It may be that they, along with many other prominent Sioux City entrepreneurs, had fallen victim to the 1893 crash and left town. Many of the details that identify this home as a Queen Anne style have been removed. But one notable feature remains, a beautiful stained glass window located above the interior stairway, on the north side of the home.
Andrew M. Haley House – 3003 Jackson St.
Built in 1889, this Queen Anne styled home was the residence of Andrew M. and Emily Haley, parents of William Haley, who resided at 2822 Jackson St. Andrew ran the Founders and Machinists Company at 303 Pierce. Andrew was a riverboat captain on the Missouri River.
Robert M. Candee House – 3007 Jackson St.
Built in 1889. Mr. Candee is listed as a travel agent for Haley and Company. In the early days, this meant that he was a mover/hauler. The style of the house is Queen Anne.
Robert F. Baker House – 3025 Jackson St.
Built in 1890, this home was constructed for Robert F. Baker, a local carpenter. It is representative of the Queen Anne architectural style. Even today the home retains much of its original 1890’s characteristics.