Friday, July 18, 2014

An aversion to using historic quotes for financial gain.

Many who read these articles know or should know by now the intent and purpose is to educate as to the subject of the articles and to show these historic sites and cultural events are can be easily accessible by bicycle.

Some of these articles have now famous quotes by a now historically famous person. I either type the quote with quotation marks around it and put in italic typeset or I post a photo of the quote. I believe these historic quotes are meant to teach and educate people so others do not make the same mistakes, if the quote is meant in that context or so that others can use it to learn how the now historically famous person meant for the quote to be used as an emphasis to what they did or were doing at the time.

What I have a real serious aversion to is when companies and corporations use the historic event/incident and the person involved along with the now famous quotes for financial gain. I think it shows a serious lack of originality on the part of the companies that do this. Doing so also degrades and even bastardizes the person who originally stated the quote. I have seen it on billboards, signs, posters, fliers, etc. Some companies even go as far as using a photo of the person who said it, along with the quote and how they are tying it in to what they are doing as a company. I am not referring to any specific incident, whether past or present where this has happened but it happens too often and should never happen at all.

As an historian and historic researcher I find this incredibly wrong, disturbing and frustrating. When I see it happen I often wonder if the companies that do this are violating any sort of copyright or trademark laws. If they are and they get caught doing it and get in trouble for it they have it coming as far as I'm concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment