Monday, December 15, 2008

History and Culture by Bicycle Part 105: Coca Cola Holiday Caravan

On Friday Dec 12 and Sunday Dec 14 the Coca Cola Holiday Caravan was on display for all to see. The Coca Cola Holiday Caravan is a full sized 18 wheel semi-truck with over 25,000 lights on it that Coca Cola sends around the country during the Christmas Holiday Season. People can come and have their free picture taken with Santa and the Coca Cola Bear. Coca Cola is also partnering with the Marine Corps Reserve with their Toys For Tots program. This was the 3rd year I have seen the truck in the Sioux City area. This is the first year I took photo's of it. It really is an impressive truck.

I am sure some of you are thinking who would be crazy enough to ride bike to see this thing in the winter time. Well, not me, at least not this year. I have 2 very good reasons why not. One is I work until 7 pm and would not have made it on Friday night in time to see it even though the temps. were not too bad, I could have ridden and stayed comfortable. The other is when I did take photo's of it on Sunday night it was severe winter weather. It was around -3 degrees F, with a wind chill of -30 degrees F, the wind was blowing the snow around between 20 and 40 mph. I was only out there taking the photo's for maybe 5 to 10 min. I had my heavy winter coat on, winter boots, winter bomber style fur lined hat and gloves on. By the time I was done I could not feel most of my fingers, a good portion of my legs were numb and I could not feel my face at all. I imagine had I been out there any longer any exposed areas of my skin would have had frost bite. So not exactly bike riding weather, though there are probably some who would ride in this type of weather.

Despite the severe weather I braved the elements, took my tri-pod, digital camera and captured the photo's you see below.

I know the caravan travels to area where it is nice enough to ride bike pretty much year round. In past years when it has been in Sioux City it has been nice enough to ride, just not when I took the photo's in this blog post.

Here is the news paper story and more info. on the Coca Cola Holiday Caravan:
Coca-Cola Holiday Caravan will visit Siouxland
Coca Cola Holiday Caravan

Photo's:





No comments:

Post a Comment