Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Shesler Hall

Timeline:

1901 - Named after Joanna Shesler who founded the hall, the first Shesler Hall opened as a home for Methodist deaconesses who lived here as they did their mission work in the poor sections of Sioux City. The work of the deaconesses grew rapidly, and the need for a larger building arose.

1917 - Tthe current Shesler Hall and current building used today was completed,

1922 - The deaconesses lived at Shesler until this year when the times and needs of the community changed.

1922 to 1985 - Shesler was a room and board residence for a variety of young women who worked or went to school in Sioux City. The facility continued to evolve as times changed, but was always devoted to serving the needs of women.

1985 - Shesler Hall began to focus on serving a particularly deserving segment: women with special needs who require a supportive living environment.

Shesler Hall's early ties to the Methodist Church continue to this day. Shesler Hall is one of about 100 national mission institutions under the umbrella of the General Board of Global Ministries and the Iowa Conference United Methodist Women own the building and property.

Link: Shesler Hall


No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments that are spam, any form of advertisement, have vulgar language, threats, are disparaging or negative in any way will NOT be published. Anyone who submits a comment for consideration shall include their first and last name. Any comment without a first and last name will not be published. Only including the name of the blog is not sufficient, the first and last name of the person leaving the comment is required. The admin of this blog has the right to not allow any type of comment to be published for any reason at any time. These comment rules are subject to change at any time for any reason with out notice.