Thursday, June 6, 2013

Jefferson, Iowa: Jefferson Public Library

Timeline:
Prior to 1900 - The subject of a public library had been discussed by the club women of Jefferson.
April of 1900 - Mrs. Florence Dean, President of the Culture Club, submitted a plan for holding an Art and Loan Exhibit, the proceeds to be used as the foundation of a fund for a free public library. The exhibit was a success.
1901 - The Jefferson Public Library was founded.
1903 - A $10,000 grant from the Carnegie Foundation enabled the city to construct the existing library building.
1967 - A new addition was built to house the growing collections.
1973 - Metal sculptures on display outside of library are sculpted by David Williamson and donated by Home State Bank.
1990 - Renovations made the library handicapped accessible.
1995 - The Galaxy Automation System, which computerized the card catalog and circulation functions of the library, was installed.
2004 - The Jefferson Public Library celebrated its centennial.
2005 - A new automation system called Polaris was installed, making the library collection accessible via the World Wide Web.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments that are spam, any form of advertisement, have vulgar language, threats, are disparaging or negative in any way will NOT be published. Anyone who submits a comment for consideration shall include their first and last name. Any comment without a first and last name will not be published. Only including the name of the blog is not sufficient, the first and last name of the person leaving the comment is required. The admin of this blog has the right to not allow any type of comment to be published for any reason at any time. These comment rules are subject to change at any time for any reason with out notice.