Tuesday, September 29, 2009

History and Culture by Bicycle Part 191; History of a Bicycle Part 1: Hiawatha: Update 1

I have more information from my research on the Hiawatha I inherited. It was manufactured by Clevelnad Manufacturing Company sometime in 1946/47. The chainguard is not the correct one for this bike. It either never had one to begin with and this one was added or the original was damaged and this one replaced it. The box on the frame is a battery box for a headlamp, but the lamp is missing. The battery box was an after market accessory. The speedometer is also not original to the bike and was added as an after market accessory. The button on the tank is either for a horn or a headlamp, I will not know for sure until I disassemble the bike to inspect and clean it up to refurbish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment