Saturday, February 18, 2012


At one time Sioux City was the terra cotta capital of Iowa. Different designs, pieces and styles adorned buildings no longer standing. A lot of the buildings still standing today have had to be saved from destruction, continue to proudly show their beautiful terra cotta, some of which has had to be cleaned and restored.

These past blog articles speak of some of the terra cotta from both past and what is still present today:

Sioux City History & Culture by Bicycle Part 32: Breaking the Mold, Sioux City's Terra Cotta
Sioux City History & Culture by Bicycle Part 33: Sioux City Terra Cotta, 4th St.
Sioux City History & Culture by Bicycle Part 36: Sioux City's Terra Cotta, Pearl St.
Sioux City History & Culture by Bicycle Part 37: Sioux City Terra Cotta, Douglas St.
Sioux City History & Culture by Bicycle Part 38: Sioux City Terra Cotta, Pierce St.
Sioux City History and Culture by Bicycle Part 39: Sioux City Terra Cotta, Nebraska St.
Sioux City History and Culture by Bicycle Part 43: Sioux City Terra Cotta, Historic 4th Street
Sioux City History and Culture by Bicycle Part 44: Sioux City Terra Cotta, Other Notable Buildings

Photos of information and terra cotta artifacts on display at the Sioux city Public Museum:


On display in the Temporary Exhibit Hall at the Sioux City Public Museum is a 1930 International Harvester truck.

Thursday, February 2, 2012



1850's - Sioux City is platted.

1885 - The first of 2 water reservoirs are constructed on the highest hill of what was to become Grandview Park. The reservoir was a very large pool that held about 2 million gallons of water.

January 1887 - Quote from the Sioux City Journal: "It has been written that the water-works system of Sioux City is in many respects unique, and in general one of the most perfect in the United States. It is entitled to this distinction whether considered as a protection against fire or as a motive power or as a supply of pure water in relation to private economy and to public health."

1906 to 1908 - 30 acres of land is purchased on Sioux City's north side where the first reservoir is located. The land is turned into Grandview Park.

1908 -As the city grew it was realized the reservoir would no longer be enough to provide an adequate water supply. The large pool with no lid was modified into a large 4 million gallon tank with walls.

1912 to 1914 - An identical 4 million gallon second tank was added on the south side of the north tank. This increased the water capacity to about 8 million gallons of water.

The tanks were a constructional undertaking for the time period and created an imposing site at the top of Grandview Park.

1934 -The Grandview Park Band Shell and amphitheater is constructed.

1937 -Grandview Park Rose Garden is created.

Late 1940's early 1950's - Tops added to protect water from contamination.

1993 - The south tank started bulging and cracking. It was closed, leaving the 4 million gallon north tank to provide water to a large number of residents on the north side of Sioux City.

January 2012 - The Sioux City City Council begin talks to demolish the water tanks to create a flat space for activities on the highest hill in Grandview Park. Many people oppose this because the band shell, amphitheater, rose garden, play ground and other areas of the park serve this purpose well.

Photos of water tanks under construction from the Sioux City Journal:

These are perhaps some of the last photos that will be taken of the water tanks before they are destroyed:

Info. source:
Grandview Park and Band Shell
Sioux City Council weighs demolishing Grandview Park water tanks
Grandview Park water tanks under construction