Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sioux City History and Culture by Bicycle Part 102: A Self Guided Bicycle Tour of Historic Jackson St. Part 14: 3800 Block

3800 Block

3800, 3803, 3811, 3814, 3835, 3837 and 3839 Jackson St.
Many of the homes in this block illustrate the wide number of variations found in the Craftsman architectural style that was popular in the United States between 1905 and 1930. The homes feature low pitched roofs with wide overhangs, knee braces or exposed rafter tails, and deeply recessed front porches. The Craftsman style is also referred to as the “California Bungalow”, a style inspired by the work of 2 California architects – brothers Charles and Henry Greene. Note especially 3837 Jackson St. This home represents the classical Bungalow form with its low-slung, horizontal appearance.
Photo’s:








Dr. Alphonso J. McLaughlin – 3841 Jackson St.
Built in 1916, this stately home was constructed for Dr. Alphonso McLaughlin who was born July 17, 1876 in Toronto, Canada. In early childhood he lived in Kentucky and later attended Kentucky University where he completed courses in medicine and graduated in 1897. After spending one year in hospital work, he came to Sioux City and associated with his brother P. B. McLaughlin. His specialty was surgery. This house is a good example of the Neoclassical architectural style. Notable features include the 2-story front porch (portico) supported by tall Doric Columns, dentil molding (visible under the eaves), and fanlight windows.
Photo:

Sioux City History and Culture by Bicycle Part 101: A Self Guided Bicycle Tour of Historic Jackson St. Part 13: 3300 to 3700 Blocks

3300 to 3700 Blocks

Sundell M. Jaffe House – 3301 Jackson St.
Built in 1919, this home was constructed for Sundell Jaffe, President of the National Loan Company. The tall 2-story front entry makes this home an odd representation of the Neoclassical architectural style. During the early 1950’s local attorney Jack Miller and his family resided here. Miller went on to serve as a U. S. Senator between 1961 and 1973.
Photo:


Leon Davidson House – 3506 Jackson St.
Built in 1890 and Neoclassical in style, the home was constructed for Leon Davidson, son of Benjamin Davidson who founded the Davidson Department Store in Sioux City. Leon was assistant Treasurer of the store. Notable features include the tall, 2-story porch with roof supported by large Doric columns. Note also the fanlight window. These are defining features of the Neoclassical style, which was popular in the United States from 1895 to 1950.
Photo:


Robert Lytle House – 3629 Jackson St.
Built in 1890, it appears that this Queen Anne styled home was built for Robert Lytle the father of C. F. Lytle. Robert was born in 1833 in Ohio and came to Iowa with his wife Sarah prior to the Civil War. Around 1878 he settled in Cedar Rapids and later moved to Sioux City.
Photo:


T. S. Kelly – 3737 Jackson St.
Built in 1919. Thad and Frances Kelly are the first owners of this classical Bungalow styled home. Directory listings indicate that Kelly was a dentist. By 1924 Benjamin Rosenblum was operating Ben’s Jewelry Company form his this address. In 1931 Abraham Goodsite was owner and operator of Brodkey and Goodsite Jewelers. This house has been significantly altered from its original appearance.
Photo:

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Sioux City History and Culture by Bicycle Part 100: A Self Guided Bicycle Tour of Historic Jackson St. Part 12: 2900 to 3000 Blocks

2900 to 3000 Blocks

Mylius – Eaton – Palmer House – 2900 Jackson St.
Built in 1894, designed by William D. McLaughlin and built for Charles Mylius. This is an example of the Queen Anne and Tudor Revival architectural styles. My Mylius was the Secretary and Treasurer of the Sioux City Sash and Door Company. The carriage house was built shortly thereafter. Curiously, Mylius never resided in the house. Franz and Matilida Shenkberg were the first residents in 1899. However, the Skenkbergs divorced and Franz’s father bought the house in 1905 and soon sold it to William Gordon who then sold it to Fred and Lillian Easton in 1906. Fred Eaton came to Sioux City shortly after the Silver Crash of 1893. He was the Eastern creditor’s chief representative of the Credits Communication Corporation, a company set up by eastern capitalists who had lost heavily when the effects of the crash and depression hit Sioux City. Eaton convinced eastern investors that Sioux City’s economy was healthy and spearheaded the completion of a number of projects, such as the stalemated Combination Bridge. He helped create the Live Stock National Bank and organized the Sioux City Stock Yards Company to manage Sioux City’s ailing main industry. Upon his death in 1925, his daughter Dorothy lived in the house. She becamse wife of Edward C. Palmer and lived in the home until 1967. The Palmer family was involved in various Sioux City businesses, one of which is the Palmer Candy company. To many Sioux Citians the house is known as the Palmer House or chocolate house.
Photo:


John Peirce House – 2901 Jackson St.
Built in 1892 and constructed of South Dakota quartzite, this home was designed in the Richardsonian Romanesque style by local architect Charles Brown. It was constructed by John Perice, a prominent realtor and Sioux City Promoter. Peirce, a Civil War veteran, came to Sioux City in 1869 and soon joined the other Sioux City entrepreneurs promoting and developing Sioux City’s northside neighborhoods. One of the most significant projects was the construction of a cable line that ran the full length of Jackson St. from downtown to the Country Club at 39th St. In the 1893 crash, Peirce lost his entire fortune, but attempted to recover his losses by raffling off his house. In 1901 the family moved to Seattle, where he began building another fortune. He died n 1910. The home is on the National Register of Historic Places and is currently used as the Sioux City Public Museum. The future plans for home include turning it back into a period home once the new Sioux City Museum is opened in downtown.
Photo:


T. J. Steele House – 2911 Jackson St.
Built in 1912, this home is a pleasant mix of Prairie and Colonial Revival architectural styles. The Prairie style is found in the exposed rafter tails and the knee braces (visible on the first floor, south side of the home) while the Colonial Revival style can be found in the Doric columns supporting the front porch. T. J. Steele, a local stockbroker, was the first resident of this stately home.
Photo:


Christopher Moller House – 2933 Jackson St.
Built in 1891, this Queen Anne style home was constructed for Christopher Moller, manager of the Sioux City Cable Railroad and his wife, Mary Helen (Peirce), daughter of John Peirce. In 1896, the Mollers were no longer listed in the City directories. It may be that they, along with many other prominent Sioux City entrepreneurs, had fallen victim to the 1893 crash and left town. Many of the details that identify this home as a Queen Anne style have been removed. But one notable feature remains, a beautiful stained glass window located above the interior stairway, on the north side of the home.
Photo:


Andrew M. Haley House – 3003 Jackson St.
Built in 1889, this Queen Anne styled home was the residence of Andrew M. and Emily Haley, parents of William Haley, who resided at 2822 Jackson St. Andrew ran the Founders and Machinists Company at 303 Pierce. Andrew was a riverboat captain on the Missouri River.
Photo:


Robert M. Candee House – 3007 Jackson St.
Built in 1889. Mr. Candee is listed as a travel agent for Haley and Company. In the early days, this meant that he was a mover/hauler. The style of the house is Queen Anne.
Photo:


Robert F. Baker House – 3025 Jackson St.
Built in 1890, this home was constructed for Robert F. Baker, a local carpenter. It is representative of the Queen Anne architectural style. Even today the home retains much of its original 1890’s characteristics.
Photo:

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Sioux City History and Culture by Bicycle Part 99: A Self Guided Bicycle Tour of Historic Jackson St. Part 11: 2800 Block

2800 Block

D. T. Hedges House - 2803 Jackson St.
Built in 1889, the home was located on the site of the current church. The elaborate Queen Anne style residence was home of Sioux City captialist, Daniel T Hedges. He moved to Sioux City in 1857 with his brother, Charles and later married Mary C. Van Dyke. Projects in which he played an important roll include the elevated railroad, developement of the Leeps and Morningside neighborhoods, the development and promotion of th emeat packing industry and the construction of a cable railway. After the panic of 1893, he moved to San Francisco and died there in 1903. The home was demolished in 1938.

Cina Call House – 2808 Jackson St.
Built in 1912, this large Craftsman styled residence was constructed for Ms. Cina Call, widow of Asa F. (Frank) Call. In 1908 Frank moved to Corona, California and became one of the wealthiest citrus growers in the southern California. In 1913, he was killed when a train struck his car. Cina lived apart from her husband for many years. In his will Mr. Call stated: “ I have made no provisions for my wife, but have already made ample provisions for her through an angered division in our property”. In addition, the will made no provisions for male relatives, because he did not believe in leaving men money. He feared that it would remove their incentive to make a living.
Photo:


Horace P. Chesley House – 2814 Jackson St.
Built in 1890, this Queen Anne styled home was constructed for Horace P. Chesley, general manager of the Union Stockyards Company. When the panic of 1893 forced the company into bankruptcy, Chelsey served as receiver and was a key figure in its reorganization as the Sioux City Stockyards Company. He went on to serve as the first general manager in 1894 through 1896. This home has been altered over the years, including one remodeling in 1918 designed by local architect William Steele
Photo:


John Hornick House – 2817 Jackson St.
Built in 1896. Sadly there are no photo’s of this house available. It was razed in the 1960’s to make way for church parking. The home was a Queen Anne style with an original stained glass, woodwork and even had beveled windows. In 1880 Hornick entered the druf business and continued in this work until his death in 1911. In 1889 with A. S. Garretson, James E. Booge, Edwin Haakinson and D. T. hedges, John Hornick organized the Sioux City and Northern Railroad. His family lived in the home until 1927 when the C. E. Haakinson family purchased the home. Of special interest is the fact that Hornick Iowa is named after John Hornick.

Henry C. Shull House – 2819 Jackson St.
Built in 1924, this home was constructed for Henry C. Shull, an attorney with the firm, Shull, Stillwell, Shull and Wadden, this home is representative of the Spanish and Italian eclectic style. It features half-timbering under the gables, fanlights and ecorative brick arches over the front entrance. Old photo’s indicate this home sits on the site of a carriage house that belonged to the property to the north.
Photo:


Zeno Brown House – 2821 Jackson St.
Built in 1888, this parking lot was once the site of a Queen Anne styled home. Zeno Brown was manager of the Pixley Company, which sold clothing, gent’s furnishings, hats and caps. He married Molly, born Mary, who was the daughter of D. T. Hedges, February 14, 1888. Grandfather Hedges gave the young couple a check for $1,000 and Molly’s parents gave her the deed to this house which was still under construction at the time. This home, less lavish than her father’s at 518 Jackson. Boasted fine mirrors, lavish woodwork and was the scene of many parties. It was known as Honeymoon Cottage. When the crash came in 1893, th eBrown’s moved to California and lived there until Mr. Brown died. Molly moved back to Sioux Citym ran a dance school and Society Editor for the Sioux City Tribune. She died in 1936.

William G. Haley House – 2822 Jackson St.
Built in 1898, this large Queen Anne Styled home was constructed for William G. Haley, who came to Sioux City from Ohio in 1879 with his parents, Andrew and Emily. He attended school here, went to Pittsburgh for several years and returned in 1881 to take a position as a bookkeeper for J. D. Farr and Co., dealers in eggs and butter. By 1885 he bought a share in the company and by 1892 he had controlling interest in the firm and renamed it Haley and Company. William Haley was one of the first wholesale grocers to bring fresh produce to Sioux City including crates of bananas, oranges, grape-fruits, lemons and lettuce. Located at 2nd and Pierce Streets, the company employed 200 workers and did a gross business in fruits and groceries of $3 million a year.
Photo:

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Sioux City History and Culture by Bicycle Part 98: A Self Guided Bicycle Tour of Historic Jackson St. Part 10: 2700 Block

2700 Block

Byron H. Kingsbury House – 2704 Jackson St.
Built in 1915, this Colonial Revival styled home, with some Italian Renaissance influences, it was built for Byron H. Kingsbury who came to Sioux City in 1899 when he was 23. among his many accomplishments Kingsbury was Vice President of Sioux City National Bank, President of Sioux City Brewing Company and President and General Manager of the Missouri River Sioux City Bridge Company, which was involved in the management of the Combination Bridge that connected Sioux City with South Sioux City, Nebraska. In 1936 he moved to the house next door at 2706 Jackson St. Kingsbury died in 1942. Special features of this home include a decorative fan window over the front door, the pediment dormer windows, and the classical Tuscan columns supporting the sun porch on the south side of the home. The Italian Renaissance influence is represented by the triple arched front entry.
Photo:


Frank McClure House – 2706 Jackson St.
Built in 1915, this home was designed in the Colonial Revival style, this was the home of Frank McClure, manager of F. L. McClure and Company wholesale groceries. The home features a single story entry porch with tall Doric columns supporting a triangular pediment and a fanlight above the front door, all defining characteristics of the Colonial Revival architectural style.
Photo:


George Parker House – 2709 Jackson St.
Built in 1891 and completed in 1907, construction on this home began in 1891, but sold at a sheriff’s auction before completion. George Parker who was an officer at Farmer’s Loan and Trust bought the house and finished construction in 1907. The home is an example of the Queen Anne style and features a large corner tower that was added to the home in 1917 by architect William Steele.
Photo:


William Gordon House – 2719 Jackson St.
Built in 1896, a small modern residence sits on the site of the original home. The older home was constructed in the Queen Anne style for real estate developer and Sioux City promoter William Gordon. Gordon came to Sioux City in 1883 and was involved in many projects including developing Leeds, helping to create the elevated railroad, and promoting many new businesses and industries. Gordon Drive was named in his honor.

Howard Pierce House – 2722 Jackson St.
Built in 1915, this home is a Colonial Revival brick foursquare, first occupied by Howard G. Pierce and his wife, Mary. Peirce was Secretart and Treasurer of the Fiztsimmons-Peirce Livestock Commission Company.
Photo:


Charles W. Hornick House – 2727 Jackson St.
Built in 1890, this Queen Anne styled residence was constructed for Charles W. Hornick, President of Hornick Hess and Moor Druggist. In 1894 the house was sold to George Sweetser, Secretary of Farmer’s Loan and Trust Company. In 1912, C. F. Lytle of the Lytle Construction Company bought the home. Special features of note include the full wrap-around front porch and the corner tower with bell-shaped roof.
Photo:


Henry Michelsletter House – 2728 Jackson St.
Built in 1912. The first residence of record of this stately Craftsman styled home was Henry Michelsletter, a printer for W. H. Bastain Company. This home features prominent Doric columns, a porte-cochere on the south end of the home, and exposed rafter tails.
Photo:

Sioux City History and Culture by Bicycle Part 97: A Self Guided Bicycle Tour of Historic Jackson St. Part 9: 2400 to 2600 Blocks

2400 to 2600 Blocks

Fred J. Sulzbach House – 2423 Jackson St.
Built in 1918, this stately Prairie styled home was constructed for Fred J. Sulzbach and his family. A stonemason by trade, Sulzbach came to Sioux City in 1880 where he began winning contracts to work on the city’s buildings, streets and sewers. Eventually he turned his business into a successful construction company, which continues operations today.
Photo:


John H. Kelly House – 2501 Jackson St.
Built in 1913, this prominent Prairie styled residence was constructed for John Kelly, vice president of the Sioux City Tribune. The home’s design is attributed to the local architect William Steele. By 1919 Kelly was president and general manager of the Tribune, having taken over of the newspaper for his father John C. Kelly, owner of the newspaper since 1884. A few years before his death in 1933, John Kelly moved from this house to 2619 Jackson St.
Photo:


Millard – Steele House – 2512 Jackson St.
Built in 1902, this home is notable for the association with prominent local architect, William LeBarth Steele. The home was constructed in 1902 for Ezbon Millard, owner of Millard and Anderson, a local building contractor. By 1910 William Steele purchased the house.
Photo:


Joseph Cenell House – 2519 Jackson St.
Built in 1939, this Tudor style, which was popular in the United States during the 1930’s and 1940’s is represented by this home. It was the home of Joseph Cenell who worked in the Claims Department in the Insurance Exchange Building.
Photo:


Benjamin Schulein House – 2604 Jackson St.
Built in 1913, this home is one of the earliest Prairie styled designs by prominent local architect William L. Steele, this was the home of Bencamin Schulein. Ben’s father, Sigmund, a successful businessman and entrepreneur, was one of the earliest Jewish settler in Sioux City. Ben Schulein operated a shoe business that was founded by his father. The home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Photo:


William J. Weir House – 2616 Jackson St.
Built in 1924, the Dutch Colonial sub-category of the Colonial Revival architectural style is represented by this house. Defining features include the gambrel roof (barn like) and he beautiful door surround with an arched pediment and large Doric columns. The first known resident of this home was William Weir, manager of A. Y. Weir and Sons Real Estate.
Photo:


William H. Beck House – 2619 Jackson St.
Built in 1893 a modern apartment building now sits on the site of the William H. Beck house that was severly damaged by fire in 1970. Richardsonian Romanesque in style, the Beck house was designed by local architect William McLaughlin. William Beck arrived in Sioux City in Sioux City from Indiana with his wife in 1878 and was involved in the jewelry business. His downtown store was known as one of the finest jewelry stores in the country. Beck was an avid Sioux City promoter and involved in many social and business organizations. He lived in this home until his death in 1921.

Roy McKee House – 2620 Jackson St.
Built in 1913 this Prairie styled residence was constructed for Roy McKee, manager of the Sioux City Blau Gas Company. Although a representation of the Prairie style, it shows influences from other styles. The Palladian window located above the front entrance for ecample, is more reminiscent of Colonial Revival style.
Photo:

Monday, November 17, 2008

Sioux City History and Culture by Bicycle Part 96: A Self Guided Bicycle Tour of Historic Jackson St. Part 8: 2200 to 2300 Blocks

2200 to 2300 Blocks

G. H. Jenkinson House – 2205 Jackson St.
Built in 1915 for G. H. Jenkinson, this home was designed in the Mission architectural style. Defining characteristics include the red clay tile roofing and the decorative papets above the front entrance and dormer. Jenkinson was President and Treasurer of B. L. Jenkinson Wholesale Crockery, Butcher and Billiard Ball Supply business.
Photo:


Emil Rosenstock House – 2211 Jackson St.
Built in 1917. Emil Rosenstock ran a commission firm in the Livestock Exchange Building. The house remains its original Prairie style characteristics.
Photo:


Marx-Cusack House – 2215 Jackson St.
Built in 1913 and originally pccupied by Emil Marx of Marx and Dryfoos Brokers, this house represents the American Foursquare style, a sub-category of the Prairie architectural style. From 1921 to 1964, it was the home of Sylvester Cusack, founder of the Sioux City Serum Company. In the 1920’s it was the largest company of its kind in the world and ranked second in the production of anti-cholera hog serum.
Photo:


Delavan A. Holmes House – 2216 Jackson St.
Built in 1890 for Daniel T. Hedges, who platted this section of Jackson Street. It has many of the same Queen Anne characteristics of the house to the north and is set apart from others by the quartzite stone veneer over the first floor exterior. Mr. Holmes was president of the E. N. and G. Railroad and lived in the home for only 4 years. From 1900 to 1917 Albert and Minnie Wendell occupied the house. Albert was a charter member of the Sioux City Livestock Exchange.
Photo:


Andrew Ellefson House – 2222 Jackson St.
Built in 1890, this Queen Anne style home was the residence of Andrew Ellefson, a masonry contractor who ran his business form the home. In 1893, as a result of the nation-wide economic crash, Ellefson failed to meet financial obligactions and left town. Later the house was owned by William H. Benn who was traffic manager at the Sioux City Stockyards Company.
Photo:


Meares-Lytle House – 2310 Jackson St.
Built in 1910, this uniquely styled home was originally the residence of L. S. Meares, department manager at the Pellitier Department Store. More significantly, by 1932 this was the home of Charles Franklin Lytle, who was a general builder and contractor. Lytle arrived in Sioux City in 1899 from Ohio and after working in real estate for a year, turned his interests to building and founded the Lytle Construction Company. The company hired architects who designed and built structures in Sioux City and surrounding areas. In fact, in 1903, Lytle had over $2 million in projects. Local buildings constructed by the Lytle Company include, the Davidson Building at the corner of 5th and Pierce Streets, and the Motor Mart at the corner of 6th and Nebraska Streets. In 1916 Lytle served as State Senator in the 37th General Assembly and in 1938, he died of a heart attack while driving his vehicle. His estate was valued at $500,000, a small fortune in those days.
Photo:


Reeder-Metz House – 2323 Jackson St.
Built in 1924. Dr. James Reeder, a prominent Sioux City physician, was the first resident of this Colonial Revival styled home. By 1932 it had become the residence of Henry Metz, Jr., who was President and manager of Metz Brothers Baking Company. Even into the early decades of the 20th Century, Jackson continued to maintain its position as a location of choice for Sioux City’s prominent businessmen.
Photo:

Sioux City History and Culture by Bicycle Part 95: A Self Guided Bicycle Tour of Historic Jackson St. Part 7: 2000 to 2100 Blocks

2000 to 2100 Blocks

William Jepson House – 2000 Jackson St.
Built in 1895 this home retains some if its Queen Anne characteristics. The house features exterior walls constructed in both dark brick and river rock. It was constructed in 1895 for William Jepson, a prominent Sioux City physician who resided here until 1945. Legend has it that in 1890, when he was 26 years old, he removed a ten and a quarter pound fibroid tumor from an unfortunate Sioux City resident. According to some, it was the largest such tumor ever removed. Jepson performed the operation on a kitchen table because at the time there were no hospitals in Sioux City. Images of the patient lying on the table, kerosene lamps used for light, hot water to sterilize the instruments and other such pictures come to mind. The patient survived.

Photo:


Hunt School – 2002 Jackson St.
Built in 1906 this 3-story building was designed by local architect W. W. Beach and was named for A. Hunt, first president of the Sioux City School Board. In its early years, Sioux City made the effort to locate its elementary schools so that no neighborhood was over a few blocks form a school. Due to the population growth in 1912, an addition was constructed onto the building. By 1933, the building was termed a “fire trap” and required remodeling which removed it’s peaked tile roof.

Photo:



E. W. Loft House – 2101 Jackson St.
Built in 1896 this church site was once the location of the home of local architect E. W. Loft. He constructed this Queen Anne style residence.

James H. Whittemore House – 2110 Jackson St.
Built in 1890 this Queen Anne styled home was the residence of James Whittemore and his wife Jennie who resided there until 1937. He was Secretary and Treasurer of the Hanford Produce Company for 21 years, and was Commissioner and Superintendent of the City’s Department of Accounts and Finance. The home features typical Queen Anne characteristics such as the corner tower and decorative wood shingles on the exterior Stick-style features like the curved decorative braces on the porch columns.

Photo:


G. B. Adams House – 2117 Jackson St.
Built in 1900 for Mr. Adams and his wife Minnie, this home can best be described as a Victorian cottage. Adams owned a successful shoe store on 4th St. in downtown Sioux City. The square addition in front was added at a later date,. Of interest in the front gable is an oval window that is reminiscent of the Classical Revival style.

Photo:

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sioux City History and Culture by Bicycle Part 94: A Self Guided Bicycle Tour of Historic Jackson St. Part 6: 1700 to 1900 Blocks

1700 to 1900 Blocks

Creston Thelander House – 1721 Jackson St.
Built in 1913 this house was home to successful druggist, Creston C. Thelander. He started his business in 1883 at 925 4th St. In 1908 he moved to 921 4th St. and in 1910 he sold his business to his brother Fred who operated it until 1954. Other owners kept the Thelander name and ran the business until it closed in 1964. He and his wife Julia occupied this home until his death in 1941 and her death in 1945. This is one of Sioux City’s few concrete block residences. The home is best described as a Prarie Foursquare in style and features exposed rafters, unique dormers and a pediment with applied carving above the front entrance.
Photo:


Pruisner-Friedman House – 1722 Jackson St.
Built in 1912, this Colonial Revival styled home was constructed for Benjamin E. Pruisner, Credit and Officer Manager for the Davidson Brothers Company. Pruisner resided here until 1920 when he sold his home to A. B. and Rebecca Friedman who lived here until their deaths (Rebecca 1945 and Abe 1948). Jewish immigrants from Russia, they came to the United States in 1908 first settling in Omaha, then Sioux City in 1910. Abe owned a grocery store at 211 Leonard and also had a real estate business and the Iowa Theater. The Friedmans were the parents of four daughters, Helen, Dorothy and twins Esther and Abigal Van Buren (Dear Abby), the nationally known advice columnists. The twins, after graduating from Sioux City’s Central High School, continued their studies as journalism majors at Morningside College writing for the Collegiate Reporter. Nicknamed Po-Po and Eppie, they were married in a double ceremony in 1939. In the 1950’s Pauline (Ann Landers) and Esther (Abigal Van Buren) began writing their advice column for the Chicago Sun Times and the San Francisco Chronicle, respectively.
Photo:


Edward Kayser House – 1808 Jackson St.
Built in 1919, this Prairie styled house was home of Edward Kayser, Secretary of the Dakota Grain Company. It retains its two story form with wide overhanging eaves, full fa├žade front porch, columns and decorative capitals.
Photo:


William Ellemund House – 1821 Jackson St.
Built in 1892, this Richardsonian Romanesque styled house was the residence of William Ellemund owner of a plumbing and gas steam heating company. Of special note is the fact that this home was constructed of sandstone and has a spectacular stained glass window on the north side. There is no house at 1821 Jackson St. There is a house that appears to be made of sandstone at 1825 Jackson St which could be the Ellemund House. I did not take a photo of it in case it is not.

James F. Toy House – 1902 Jackson St.
Built in 1892 this was the home of local banker James F. toy who was born in Wilmington, Delaware and came to Iowa in 1867. By 1873, toy had settled in Storm Lake, Iowa, worked in the lumber business, entered banking and formed the Farmer’s Loan and Trust Company which eventually became the Toy National Bank. During his career he became the one of the most powerful financiers in the Midwest controlling 23 banks in the 1920’s. Toy financed the construction of this prominent Queen Anne styled home. Of particular note is the large two story carriage house, one of the few remaining examples in Sioux City.
Photo:


Carlton B. Toy House – 1914 Jackson St.
Built in 1919 this Prairie styled home was buolt for Calrton B. Toy, son of James toy. He was Vice President his father’s Farmers Loan and Trust, which later becamse Toy National Bank. This home bears a striking resemblance to the house to the north as well as a home at 2808 Jackson Street.
Photo:


James F. Toy House – 1920 Jackson St.
Built in 1917 James Toy financed the construction of this large Craftsman Styled residence. There is no information as to why he moved from his Queen Anne home at 1900 Jackson Street, but perhaps it was due to a change in the fortune or simply to live in a newer styled residence. This home features rafter tails and knee braces, characteristics typical of the Craftsman style.
Photo: